broken clutch cable

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
TonyKZ1
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello all, the clutch cable broke on my '97 Seca II Wednesday evening, luckily it broke on my way home, not on the 2 hour dinner ride that was unfortunately cancelled that night. Okay, so I'm checking parts and prices, found one that included the clutch lever too on eBay along several others auctions for just the cable.

Anyhow, it arrived today and it's about two feet too long. Here's the message I sent to the eBay seller.

"Hello, I just got the clutch assy with the cable, thanks for shipping it so quickly. As my bike is down with a broken clutch cable, so this could have gotten me riding again. One question though, are you sure this is for a Yamaha XJ600 Seca II? I've got a '97 Seca II and this cable is at least 2 feet too long. I checked the part numbers, for 97-98 Yamaha CABLE,CLUTCH Part # 4EB-26335-00-00 and the 92-96 Yamaha CABLE,CLUTCH Part # 4BP-26335-00-00. So while the part numbers are different, surely there wouldn't be a 2 foot difference between the different years of Seca II bikes clutch cables."

I would have thought the clutch cables would be the same, or maybe with slight differences, but not 2 foot's worth of cable length difference. If this is right cable for the 92-96 model, can someone show or tell me how the cable is routed to need the extra 2 feet? Thanks for help/suggestions/assistance.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login