Greetings and introducing my XJ

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Vesuvius
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hello everybody, greetings from the Czech Republic.
I own a 1997 XJ600 N since April and this forum helped me quite a bit when I was getting myself familiar with the bike - I really appreciate the time and effort you all put in this forum :)
I was looking to buy an older bike ('83) and build a cafe racer, but the guy backed out of the deal day before I was supposed to come for the bike. So I went searching the internet for the milionth time, browsing through already familiar bikes and then I came across a few minutes old ad - somebody in Germany was selling a XJ. It looked in great shape, well priced and "only" 6 hours away, so I gave up the cafe racer idea and next day went on a trip to Germany. After all, it's still a great bike to work on, although I can't imagine I would want to turn it into a cafe racer or a scrambler at any point as I originaly wanted.
I couldn't believe it was 22 years old when I saw it, the previous owner (second owner, the first one put around 5.000km on it and sold it) took really good care of it, cosmetic-wise. I took it for a test ride, everything seemed alright, the guy was super nice, showed me his garage and his 6 other bikes(biker family I guess :lol: ) and so thats how I became an XJ owner :)
Only thing that needed to be fixed seemed to be a leaking fuel hose, possibly still original - somebody put in another fuel filter and routed the hose differently, so it was sitting on the engine and the heat cracked it. I was driving it like that for a short while and then I started digging in the bike more.
I had to remove the carbs since one was leaking when I started the bike after longer time and I wanted to have a look inside anyways... I will cover that in a different thread sometime since I have some technical questions. I also got new tires on, new battery, new chain & sprocket wheels, overhauled brakes & installed new braided brake lines (there were still OEM ones from '96...), thoroughly cleaned everything, polished panels and the fuel-tank, waxed it and some other minor fixes.
I am very satisfied with how my first bike buying experience went and even glad that the first guy backed out. I am also very happy that I found this community, I would probably struggle quite a bit in the beginning, so again a big thank you :)

Here is my favourite photo so far (I didn't take many since I keep dismantling the bike insted of riding :lol: ):

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login