Plastic Welding (usury's Project Karma)

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
usury
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Bad smells but great results with the ~$16 (USD) Harbor Freight "Plastic Welding" kit

It's more like an 80W soldering iron with a thick triangular tip, but it gets the job done...

The portion of the rear cover (above the tail light) where the screw fastens it to the bike was missing. I had imagined buidling it up with fiberglass or epoxy, but I wanted to try the inexpensive plastic welder before I got into all that.

It worked great - here is during and after (with some Bondo)...

So I tackled the crack in the rear plastic...

And the broken (but crudely reattached with JB Weld) front tab on the rear plastic. This was actually the first piece that I did. I figured start small and inconspicious. I should have taken the time to remove all the paint from the area. The paint does burn off, but it makes a much yuckier and crustier repair...

Worked really well on the cracked and splintered rear fender/under seat plastics...

Take care to not burn yourself. Use in a well ventilated area. Take your time. Like any welding, take care to control the amount of heat in your work piece.
Freelance Renaissance Man
German Cars, Japanese Bikes, Guitars, Adrenaline

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login