Need to replace rings, can I do it without pulling the engine?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
LeftHandedJesus
New to XJR
New to XJR

I saw radare's post on the wall "How To: Replace the Cylinder Head Gasket on your Seca II" and he pulls down to the cylinder block without pulling the engine. I am wondering if I will have the clearance to pull the cylinder block as well or if I will have to remove the engine to do it. If I can leave the engine in the bike that takes a lot of stress out of the project. This is a low mileage engine but it is burning oil on acceleration on cyl 3 or 4, I get the feeling the bike sat long enough and the engine seized then the PO just broke the thing free with a long ratchet and poor lubrication. With that being my operating theory I need to replace rings, I have already checked valve clearances and everything is in spec up top, doesn't mean my valves are any good but I would be surprised if they are in poor shape, ill know once I crack it open though. I just need to know if I will be doing it with the engine in or out of the bike.
Last edited by LeftHandedJesus on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login