JMUgineer's First Bike

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
JMUgineer
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Hey guys. I've been on the forum for a while but barely post because I haven't really had a chance to do any work on the bike. Here's the back story; I was given a bike when a friend left the area for med school but I didn't have a place in which to store or work on it. I finally bought a house in August, moved the bike to its new garage in November and started working on it after the New year. Here's how the bike was stored for two years.

Not the best conditions and, as far as I know, there was no fuel stabilizing or battery tending going on. Here's when I brought it home.

After getting through holidays and initial can't wait house stuff, I started to tear into the bike. First thing was to remove the gas tank and drain whatever is in it. I found a well-aged '92 pinot seca with a dry finish.

I can't get the gas cap off because (I'm assuming) the latch won't recede far enough to open. I'm going to have to go in through the petcock hole and push it back. Speaking of petcock; think mine needs a rebuild?

I'm pretty sure the inside of the tank looks the same. I'll pick up some phosphoric acid and etch it sometime soon. Hopefully I don't spring any leaks!

After pulling the carbs off, all but one slide moves easily. I was thinking about only doing a Pine-Sol soak until I removed the float bowls...

:blech:

So first order is to rebuild the carbs. I'm putting together a parts list and it looks like, hopefully using draco751's help, I may be able to do this somewhat cheaper than buying OEM parts. If nobody does it first, I'll probably pick up a 100-pack of the needle valve seat o-rings from McMaster and distribute them as needed.

Also, a big thanks to draco751 for letting me know of a good eBay deal. I was able to do a local pick up of a Seca engine for $50. So, I'll also have that for extra parts, assuming it isn't junk. I'll get a picture up here soon. I'm pretty excited about getting my first bike running and hopefully for relatively cheap! :leak:
'92 XJ600 SECA II

This topic has 95 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login