Project 'Tough Broad' - 1995 Diversion

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
unmeg
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

EDIT: Welcome to my first bike project. My '95 Diversion is in good mechanical order and fairly good cosmetic nick. My plans are to complete the naked conversion the PO started and tweak some of the aesthetics to suit me better. Here's where I am at.

To do:

*A few more paint touch ups
*Pick some mirrors
*Refine the tacho side of my gauge conversion -- it is currently SUPER ghetto

Done:
*Basic mechanical stuff (oil/oil filter, chain adjustment/lube, timing chain tensioner resealed, regulator/rectifier replaced)
*Paint touch-ups on exhaust
*Ghetto windshield (cut from a 5 gallon bucket)
*Gauge swap (Radian idiot lights, FZ600 gauges)
*Handlebar swap (drag bars)
*Grip swap (natural gum)

:thumbsup:

Hello XJRider. I've been devouring this site for about a week now -- from the day I impulse eBay'd a '95 Diversion that was going at too good a price to pass up.

I collected it today and immediately rode it 400KM home. Through sun, rain, fog and even some frost on the roads, it didn't miss a beat. I love it.

I haven't taken any photos yet, and it is pitch black outside, but here's a quick snap I pinched from the ad. I don't think it does the bike justice. I expected some rust and general grittiness from the photos these guys had up, but the bike is in pretty awesome nick. Just needs some touch up paint on a bracket or two.

Anyway, as you can see it is naked already. I have not yet even had a chance to look closely at the set-up in the front, so I'm not clear on what was stock and has been re-used, and what has been thrown on by POs. I will check it all out tomorrow and post close-up photos for your help. But. Anyway. The naked conversion is doneski. I will probably just throw a windshield/bikini fairing thing on to give some extra protection to the gauges. There are a few other things I want to do.

*possibly change the (Renthal) bars to something more aggressive -- clubmans? If I switch out the front end then I guess I will jump over to clip ons, but not sure if I'll go that route yet. The front brakes really surprised me though, they're pretty weak.
*bar end mirrors
*figure out if it's possible (for me) to slim down the back end at all. I'm used to riding a GB400 and a VTR250 (of late) and I am a big fan of their skinny-ness. I don't hate the buxom shape of the XJ or anything, I just feel like there is SO MUCH seat and bodywork back there. Whyyy?
*figure out if it's possible (for me) to lower the seat height JUST A BIT. It is certainly manageable at the current height, and the light weight contributes to that (my first bike was a Kwaka GPz550 - tall AND heavy) but, again, coming from these low bikes, I do love to feel a bit more planted when trying to manoeuvre the bike for parking in weird spots etc. I know there's been a lot of shock swapping, but in my travels here I have not seen anyone mention the v stars et al dropping the seat height at all. Anyone?
*MAYBE maybe think about getting some shorty cans. I am obsessed with them.

That's about it. Other than these small alterations, the bike is just so great. It's exactly what I was looking for, and the fact this community exists just makes my purchase all the sweeter!

Anyway, wanted to say hi and see if anyone had any thoughts for me regarding a) good clubman bars they've tried, b) lowering the seat height at all, c) making the back of the bike less buxom, d) all of the things.

Proper photos to come. I was just SO excited, and I've already bored the people in my immediate vicinity with discussion (and repetition) of stuff like the above, so I had to bring it to the interwebs ASAP.
Last edited by unmeg on Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:24 am, edited 5 times in total.

This topic has 31 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login