Project carb therapy and naked conversion.

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
XJRIDER.MAD.WI
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Carb Therapy
I have a 1992 stock looking stage 2 carb BS. The carbs have been drilled with yoshi exhaust and K&N Air Filter. I was talking to the shop that I have do some of my maintenance that I dont want to do or dont have the time for or dont know how to do. I want to get this bike back to running at the stock fuel/air mixture. Since the carbs have been drilled I will have to find a set of carbs that havent been molested. The shop mentioned putting it on the Dyno and getting the mixture right but they also said that buying a new set of carbs may be easier. So my first quest is to find an inexpensive set of carbs in good condition.

Naked Conversion:
The next thing that I wanted to do was the naked conversion. I have a triumph shield that would fit a set of dominator headlights. So I plan to base the naked conversion around the shield. I will be on the quest for the headlights, tach, speedo, light cluster and flashers.

Items needed:
Stock Carbs not drilled
Dominator headlights
flashers
gauges
center stand
maybe need clutch plates
ZR6R Shock
Throttle cable

I will probably acquire the carbs and have the shop do a valve clearance, install carbs, adjust and sync the bike on the dyno. In the mean time I will slowly seek out the other parts for the conversion trying to find the right parts at lowest cost.

Project Budget:
Valve clearance by shop $259
Dyno and Tune by shop $200
Carbs Ebay shows $200
Dominator headlights $100
Speed, Tach and cluster lights $200
shock $100
Throttle cable $79
Clutch plates by shop $300
Well that puts me over budget by $1200. I guess I will just have to piss my money away slowly so that I dont notice and maybe find some good deals along the way. Maybe if I can find some help on the clearances and tuning than this thing can move along easier. The carbs will be a good start. Anyone have a set?

Items that have been done:
New clutch cable
Fork seals and rebuild
head bearing
new front rear sprocket and chain
new tires
flushed brake fluid and change pads
plugs
Handle bar risers
added rear storage
Fixed fairing rattle
New custom made seat to fit my arse
re-installed stock cans

I will be seeking these parts on email and on here. I may also steel and idea from Drapheus and hack a stock set of gauges and put them in gauge cups. I am also trying to keep the bike in a form so that it can be converted back to a fairing.

Thats it for now.

This topic has 29 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login