And So it Begins.... Project 93

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
radeon183
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hello all at XJRider. I've recently purchased my first motorcycle, a '93 Seca II, back in November 2013. I bought the bike because it was cheap, it ran, and my friend who rides said it was a great beginner's bike. Unknown to me were the numerous issues the bike had. It wasn't until I came upon forum and researched, that I began to probe the bike and became aware of these assorted problems. Last week the chain jumped the sprocket and bent the swingarm where the adjusters attach to. The next day I tried to start the bike only to find out that my petcock and a float valve failed, thus flooding, what I believe to be Cylinder #1,and hydrolocking it :wallbash: . I was able to start the bike still only to turn it off immediately after hearing engine was not in good health. I don't believe I stripped the starter gear, Thank God! So after much thought and consideration, I have decided to make this bike a project and nurse her back to health and dub her 'Project 93'.

My goal for the bike is to do a naked conversion. I love what Radare has done with his bike and I see it as inspiration for mine :kudos: . I have bought a rear shock off of a Ninja 650r with only 1150 miles, Po' Boy' Float Rebuild Kit, K&L Petcock Rebuild Kit, Uni Foam Air Filter, Mikuni #20 Pilot Jets, new vacuum and fuel lines. The rebuild kits,filter, and jets are on there way here and will take pictures when they arive. I also bought brake and carb cleaner so I can polish and make things look pretty again.

My plan is to start the Pine Sol bath tonight or tomorrow and let the carb soak for a couple days until the packages arrive, taking it out at least once a day. I have a couple questions concerning this procedure.

-Is it OK to use hot water to mix in with the Pine Sol so that the solution breaks up the gunk faster?
-Is it OK to dip the petcock in the solution?
-What is NOT OK to put into the solution?

My next goals are to:
-Clean and Rebuild Float
-Replace Pilot Jet with #20's
-Clean and Rebuild Petcock
-Replace Fuel and Vacuum Lines
-Clean Airbox and Replace Filter
-Replace Rear Shock

Thank you XJRider for the continuous information you all provide.
Last edited by radeon183 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login