XJ600 "cheap fix"

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Kadettgek
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

So I've been reading quite a while on this forum because I recently bought a XJ600. I live in the Netherlands and I was still taking driving lessons for my permit.
So since I am still a student everything is on a budget.
I saw the bike on the Dutch version of ebay or craiglist and it was the cheapest I could find. For 100 euro the bike was mine.

So this is a picture of the bike:
How i got it home
How it stood waiting untill I got my licence.

So because it was so cheap there were many things wrong!!
Obvious things:
- leaking frok on the right side,
- oil all over the brakedisks and pads.
- worn chain and sprocket (really really badly!! tooth were missing...)
- head bearing was worn.
- tires were gone.

Unfortunately I didn't know so many things were wrong. But I like the mechanics and just starting to fix the bike up.
My second mistake was to not take so many pictures...

So I went part-shopping.

all kinds of parts that i needed and also all kinds that I didn't need also for 100 euro.

Luckily the previous owner had a service manual that came with the bike!
So first things first! The leaky front-fork. I ordered parts from "Roukama Japparts" The seals and oil. I bought 30w oil because many of you complaint about the front suspension.

So after I pulled the front tubes apart I noticed the not leaking tube, (which was previously changed by the former owner) was a bit different but also the chome tube was bend. So NOT good! With the parts i bought was an extra frontfork so i could replace it.

Cleaned and reassembled the tubes.
see the difference between the oil?
I know it says cola... but is oil...

So I cleaned the brakes and installed new brake-pads. (no pictures)
I changed the front wheel because the tire was gone and noticed on the original wheel:

So! AGAIN... I have to pay attention....
and take more pictures... because I haven't took any beyond this part.

While everything was removed from the front of the bike I replaced the steering baring.
and finally put the front-end back together.

So then I could focus on the rear of the bike:
I removed the rear wheel and swingarm because i bought a infinite chain. Changed the front and rear sprocket and also the rear wheel because of the worn tire.
mounted everything back in place. Fitted new rear brake-pads.

Then drained the oil from the engine and mounted a new oil filter. And also a new battery...

So I do hope most of the important stuff is done now....

Finally I got my license so I will drive the bike now....
I probably still have to check the valve clearance, change the sparkplugs, sync the carburetors (or worse clean them) but first drive drive drive...

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login