My first build thread

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
shinigami710
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Ok so I picked up my first bike which was a 95 seca II. It was in pretty rough shape but I knew she could be saved or at least be improved a bit. Mechanically she was pretty sound. Here's what I started with.

So here's a rough list of what I've accomplished so far.
-Oil change. Thats an obvious one. Rotella 15-40. I could tell a smoother difference for sure.

-New passenger pegs. One was broken and one was missing.

-Pilot Jets (20's went in) then did a little adjusting with the pilot screws til she was running alot smoother, along with a good cleaning. No more hesitation.

-Chain and 46t sprocket. The gearing change was nice. Feels like it isn't being worked as hard. Obviously with an xj I'm far from the fastest so I'm just aiming for a smooth and reliable ride.

-Rear wheel bearing. The PO had busted the chain and revved it up in gear which shredded the old bearing and scratched the swing arm something fierce :wallbash: :type: . Picked up one from a 97 with 13k miles for 7 bucks.

-New Kenda tires. As you would guess the old ones were bald.

-Serviced the starter. Took apart and freed up some parts and clean about a pound of soot dust from it.

- Front brake master cylinder. This was a unexpected upgrade. I took the calipers off to get that horrid green paint of them and when i reinstall everything the master is no longer blowing any fluid. Don't know what happened to it :shrug: but the new one was really worth the upgrade. Much more braking power. New lever with it which was good cause the old one was a nub. Checked the pads while They were off and they were one of the few things in good shape. I'd say 70% pad still there.

-New headlight. The front fairing was annihilated so i removed it and the stay as well. Got a big 8 inch round headlight which is much better lighting at night and just looks better to me.

-Trail Tech gauges. Went with the stay and I like the compact size of the trail tech. I'm all about simple. I was hesitant after reading what radare said about the tach but I guess I got lucky because I only really see a 100-200 rpm flux and I can live with that. I don't touch redline that much anyway. Made this dash and wired up some colored lights for dummy lights.

-New clutch perch. Same as the brake lever. Pretty much gone.

-Recovered the seat. Which was a pain in the :censor: .

-The right side tail plastic had a hole in it which was covered with a sticker. That was cute. so I patched that with some filler. First real body work btw. Its not perfect but I'm pretty proud nonetheless.

The tank had a few dents as well. It seems like he dropped it a few times. Shoulda respected the xj more than that man!! So while I had the body filler out I attempted to knock out those as well. Again it turned out good but not flawless. But hey its better than it was.

Now with that sorted I can start painting. While I do like an all black bike I thought the seca should stand out a little more so I decided on a nice blue for the tank and tail plastic while keeping the black frame, rims etc. You can see for youselves.
Here it is coming back together.

Here is my finished product as of now. I'm waiting on the bar end mirrors to come in and the new black yamaha tank decals to be made.

This topic has 18 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login