The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly...a Canadian Rebuild

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Full Circle
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Or...Did i get lucky punk! Well, did I?

First off, this forum is a great source of knowledge and everyone seems very friendly and willing to help, thanks. With that said, I think it's time I started my own rebuild thread.

A little recap, I bought the bike about two weeks ago, sold as is, not running for $550. Taxes for registering the bike in my name came to around $70. THe bike came with an extra carb bank from a wrecker as well as a box of carb pieces, and a brand new unopened Clymer Manual (not a crack in the spine). My first goal was the get the bike running.

Allright then, here we go...

The Good Image

The Bad Image

And The Ugly Image

I'm going to change the order up now and start with "The Bad". Yes, the picture you see is the original carb in pieces. In the bag are jets, screws, washers, and every other small part imaginable that someone pulled out of the carbs. To boot, all the piece are sitting in sand and rotten leaves :notamused: but that's o.k. (i thought at the time) because i have an extra complete carb bank.
So I started to check out the "new" carbs. Tried to flip the butterflies and #4 was completely seized, so I started to tear it apart. Even though the carbs have differences from the u.s. carbs, a large thanks goes to Radare and the carb thread. Here's a couple of shots Image
...a little grungy but not too bad.
One difference from the u.s. carbs is access to remove the butterfly. Mine is blanked in, no clips just a plug and i couldn't figure out how to remove it. So i tore as much of this bank apart as i could, cleaned everything up and began my "frankencarb build". I think I got lucky in that the original carb bodies were nice and clean (although i hit them again), and all present except for one damage float bowl. I began to swap over pieces, comparing what was in the best shape and using it. I did find that the original carb bank had larger mains 125-122.5-122.5-125 but i chose to go back to stock with the 105-102.5-102.5-105 set up from the new bank. All told this was about 4 hours worth of swapping parts, not too bad.
I changed the oil, the old looked o.k. and then it took me a little while to track down where all the hoses hook up, finished it all the next morning after some reading and internet searches...

So, at this point, i had about 6 hours into the machine and maybe $30 in parts, all told around $650.

Here's where the fun starts! Crossed my fingers, turned the petcock to prime and fuel came running out, switched it to run, same thing, switched it to reserve and no more leak. (One rebuild kit purchased later in the week- $50 from the dealer, I didn't want to wait for shipping, total $700). I cleaned up the gas, key on, switch on run, pulled the choke and...(i can tell your all on the edge of your seats)

[youtube]PzZz-mfS8Ag[/youtube]

Damn video doesn't want to run for me here's a link...and let me know if it's working for you. EDIT: Working Now...I think

:Mozarkrider: :Mozarkrider: :Mozarkrider:

...to be continued

Ad
Last edited by Full Circle on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

This topic has 141 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login