XJ Downunder

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Maxnettoz
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Firstly may I congratulate you all on a superb site and inspiring projects. This is my first project bike. Although I have owned an 85 Honda CBX250, a 1997 VFR750, 2005 AN250Burgman and recently departed 02 BMW R1150RT I have not committed to a rebuild. This opportunity has come about due to a workmate offering me the XJ for a price I couldn't refuse. Let's just say "Aye Coronas." The XJ hasn't been ridden for nearly two years and wasn't running when I took this on. I miss the Beemer more than I thought I would so this is therapy. I picked it up last week and started pulling bits and pieces off. I got a little carried away and stripped the tank, seat fairings etc. before I took the first photos.

I intend on painting the frame black. Not sure about the tank and fairings yet. I am also considering a black engine block with polished fins. It needs front fork seals, front brake master cylinder and caliper overhaul. The front caliper's rubber sleeves were the consistency of chewing gum melted on a hot road. The master cylinder doesn't appear to push fluid at all. The rear brakes were operating well with no leaks. I will overhaul them anyway. The carburettors need thorough cleaning and adjusting. I hope I don't find too many gremlins in them. The starter motor wasn't turning well. I cracked the case and found it full of carbon dust. The brushes are well worn but a clean up at least got it running well. I don't think at this stage I will go all out. I am using this as a learning project to gain some skills with frame prep and painting and disassembly/assembly. These bikes in Australia are not the most sought after and are lucky to fetch $1500.00 for a good one. I don't want to over capitalise the first time round. (Especially if I screw it up!!!)

I will post some pics when I work out how to attach it to posts.

sincere regards,
Maxnettoz.
:kudos:
Sincere regards,
Maxnettoz

This topic has 47 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login