New Seca II surging, bogging, under mid RPM load, NOT CARBS?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
fortcollinszj
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hello everybody! Let me tun through a bit of back story before we get to my running issue.

Last year, mid July, I bought a 1994 yellow Seca II with 17k on the clock, wouldn't run. Did a serious carb cleaning, and have been riding it without issue for a year.

Now this month I picked up another 1994, blue, with 14.8k miles, also having carb issues, had some 1.5 year old gas ran through it right before I bought it. Dumped the old gas, filled with new and limped it home, cleaned the carbs and it runs 90% better, but surges between 5-7500 RPM when accelerating quickly.

I swapped the Vance and Hines exhaust AND carburetors of old yeller', onto the ol' Blue, hoping to narrow down the issue. It persists. The carbs work fine on the yellow bike, so, that rules out carbs being the culprit on the blue bike.

Replaced the petcock with a rebuild kit, spark plugs look fine, no cracks in intake boots. The engine revs to redline SMOOTHLY in neutral, or with the clutch pulled, but again, under medim to hard accel, the thing surges and shudders rapidly through the mid range.

I need to get ol blue running right, yeller is cut in half as of this week, patching in an 03-05 R6 tail and seats.

So what could it be, if not carb issues?

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login