Speedometer issue

Problem with your XJ? Need help with maintenance? Want to show off those new grips? This is the place.
Dutchie
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hi all,

Encountering some problems with the speedometer. The pointer is 'all over the place' when speeds exceeds 70km/hr or when accelerating 'fast'.
I'm pretty sure it started when I changed the front wheelbearings and steering head/stem bearings. The past weeks I spent checking the front end. No mistakes there.

What I've checked:
- Wear on cable
- Order of parts correct
- Direction of part correct
- No visible wear on drive unit nylon? gear
- Free play between cable and drive unit.
- Cable end square and can't be turned when drive unit is manually blocked.

To exclude a defect in the speedometer itself I connected the speedometer cable to a powerdrill. Nice and steady up to 140km/hr. (Drill won't turn faster)
Before I pull the front off again to use a custom made part to 'power' the driver unit like the speedometer clutch does, what else can I check?
Sure, it can be a coincident that an issue with the speedometer itself occured at the same time as i was working on the bike... but for now I don't believe that. Especially after the powerdrill test.

All advice and possible causes are welcome! :)

XJ600S year 2000 @42k km
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login