Project "Blue" - learning to wrench...

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Atrox
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi all
This will be my projectplace, both for documentation of my XJ600-restoration, and the place I seek knowledge (and comfort when the sh*t hits the fan) :)
One more toy in the basement - a 1995 blue non-runner that I will use to get me trough the long, dark and cold winter here in Norway.

Earlier this summer I sold my Suzuki Vstrom 650 - a bike I really liked but felt I had to sell because a backinjury set me back from riding for a couple of years. Just to have something to tinker with in the basement I bought a cheap BMW F650CS (and had an old GPZ500 standing there for some years). Both these are in quite good nick and not typical projectbikes. So I wanted something I could go nuts on - and that was easy to work on, easy to find information about and easy to get parts for. Hence the XJ600. This will actually be my first 4-cylinder bike, after having LS650, XT600, SV650, R45, GPZ500, GSX400 and the mentioned DL650.

I like my bikes quite original, so this will not be a cafe/scrambler-project (I think). First in order is to get the bike running and to be safe to ride. Then I will adress the cosmetics.
As the bike has been standing for probably a year without being started I suspect the carbs are gummed up, so that is the place I will start :)

A couple of questions - can anyone recommend a serious seller on Ebay, or a company for spares? Like carb-parts? I found a lot of chinese knock-offs - are these usable or crap?
What is most recommended - the Clymer og Haynes-manual?

And sorry for any typos - I seldom write English :)

Only one picture yet - more will come:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 15 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login