So why get an XJ600?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Jvolck
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hey all,
Apologies if this isn’t the correct forum for this question…
I’m new to the bike world- got my license and did the MSF course this year, been practicing on a TR-250, but am saving up for my first real bike.

I’m eyeing a ‘98 xj600 with low miles and owner has all receipts for work done on the bike. I haven’t seen it up close yet, but apparently carbs need to be cleaned soon.
(Honestly- I really want an XSR700, but I can’t afford that yet, and so that may be my second bike if my wife doesn’t kill me first)

In my research(according to online motorcycle articles)I’ve heard that older xj600’s need to idle a long while before riding, also I’ve heard about being wary of stripped idler gears if the bike wasnt well taken care of…?
Other than that, a lot of folks say it’s a great first bike to own and learn on.
I’m also looking at a nighthawk 750, and zephyr 750, but I feel more “pulled” to the ‘98 seca 2.
I’m somewhat mechanically inclined, but don’t have a ton of time since I’m a Dad of 3 kids.
I haven’t found a whole lot online as far as reviews go…
I wanted to hear what you guys love about this bike- your experiences, anything I should be wary of, etc.,
Thanks so much for your time!
-John

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login