No starting/cranking issue.

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
TonyKZ1
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So my '97 Seca II didn't start this morning, no cranking nor voltage drop on voltmeter. All the lights came on and worked as normal, including the neutral indicator light.

The oil light came on while pushing the starter button which after searching and reading here, indicates a problem with the safety interlock switches or associated wiring/relays.

So this evening I started checking the kick stand, clutch, neutral, and kill switches. They all checked out good so I started removing fairing parts so I could get to the starting circuit relay assembly. I found a broken blue/white wire on it's white plastic connector. That wire goes to and activates/turns on the starter solenoid. So now I've got to figure out how to remove the metal terminal inside the connector, find another one somewhere that's being not used, or buy a new one, then crimp a wire to it and then splice the blue/white wire to it. Hopefully then it'll be back running again.

I just found that someone had ordered some of these terminals from newark electronics, so I placed an order for 10, shipping was several times what the parts cost, but still the total including shipping was around $12.

1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login