Slipping Clutch? How Long do they last (I know, I know)

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
MrEvilPirate
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

I know, they can last a day or 100k miles depending on the rider...

So my bike has 20k, I've put on 14k of those. I started to notice a bit of chatter when starting out last season and started to suspect clutch may need some love. Yesterday I rode her to work. Had a nice open straight section so I decided to open her up a bit (to, eh, blow out the carbon lol). 3rd gear above 7k rpm the clutch slipped and the motor revved free. No slip at all below 6k and didn't always slip, but something is going on.

-Mobile 1 or yamalube always, no friction modifiers in the oil.
-Cable is correctly adjusted, there is a bit of freeplay/take up when you first pull the lever.

I'm going to dump the oil and inspect the clutch to see what's going on. I don't have a way to test flatness but have a micrometer to check friction plate thickness (and also springs... I wonder if the springs are tired?).

For those who have replaced clutch on these bikes, how long did they last? Like I said 20k, I don't try to lift the wheel or ride the clutch or anything like that. I'm surprised that the material would be shot which is why I suspect the springs.

Curious as to what your experiences are like.

Unrelated- added a bike to the stable over covid. A 93 Goldwing. What a beast! Ripped the whole thing apart and rebuilt it over the winter, took it on a 4k mile trip to TN to ride the Dragon. She was scraping!

From this.jpg
to this.jpg
Dragon3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login