Turning a Drill Press into a Milling Machine?

Homemade, custom and specialized tools that help make things easier
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

Since buying the lathe, I've come increasingly aware that I need a mill. They just go hand-in-hand. I thought one of those Chinese mini mills would be a good fit but after looking all over the internet, best I could find was $1k. I can't justify that.

I can't help but look at the drill press and think "what's the difference?". I know there are lots of differences. But its where the mind leads.

I have a cheap Harbor Freight 8" drill press that a neighbor gave me years ago. I'd never met the guy. He came up one day and said he was moving and asked if I wanted some tools. He gave me the drill press and a nice Delta band saw.

I've used the press off and on so I would miss it if it were gone. But I think I can transform it into a basic milling machine and keep its drill press functionality. Now, I know, a drill press will make a shitty mill. And that's okay. I'm not a machinist. I need something for occasional shop use and for building, say, a custom motorcycle.

So let's try this and see if it works.

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login