Another XJ

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
SirMonstras
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Good evening all!
And happy new year!

Its been a while for me on this forum, my first bike was a XJ600 with some work : viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9502
Now i sold the XJ600 after 1 year of driving it, it was a good first bike but after a while it felt a bit dull/safe? don't wanna make you guys angry ;)
I sold it for more than i put in, and i bought a Honda FZR800:
After 1 year i sold this one as well, these bikes are not my cup of tea. It costed me a lot of money because of speeding and it would probably cost me my license if kept it.
So after that i bought another Yamaha 600cc not a XJ but a XT:
after some tinkering with it making it ready for the TET:
I sold that one as well, because of the lack of top end speed om highways. As it turn out and some one warned me before, there is no 1 single bike that is good for all.
So i thought well ok but lets try a BMW f650GS:
Which i currently still own and wich so far drives oke, it ticks al boxes a little speed, comfort, allroads, but does not shine anywhere.

The reason i am making a new topic is because i bought another XJ, HURRAY!
But this time its because of another reason.

If all goes as planned i am joining the brik and brak challenge 2021, roughly translated wreck and ramshackled challenge.
Its point is to get a bike wich is at least 25years old, cant cost more than €500, you can use another €150 to fix it so it would run long enough to finish.
Because it needs to be safe the chains, tyres and brakes don't fall under this budget.
With this in mind i went out on a search and found my bike for it a XJ900F from 1990.
I payed 500 for it, it runs okeshh,
It pisses oil out of the front fork
It has been in a accident, frames bend a little, but it drives straight.
Front brakes rattle like hell, oh and the right exhaust exploded on me after it stood still for a while:

I started working on it and i am keeping it posted here.

So far the bolts in the front forks are stuck, used a torch on them and one came loos, the other one turn but won't get of the damper rod, finding a way around this.
the carbs are off

Batt is dead, wont hold a charge
and i am going to fix it up before the challenge, and after that i am probably going to turn it into a naked again.
I will keep posting it here.

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login