Side cases mount (monokey)

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
NazarPro
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi everyone!
I'd like to show you my way of making side mounts for GIVI monokey cases. It was not easy, but very fun jorney.
First of all I had a rod welder, homemade tube bender, lathe. So I presumed that it has to be done by me. That was the second reason. The first reason was that I haven't found any mounts suitable for my XJ for reasonable price. New mount price was not affordable at that time, and my vacations were close (I mean my tour to Romania and Bulgaria). So it was decided.
Year ago at scratchyard I had chance to buy 4 or 5 2-3 meters long stainless steel tubes about 16mm in diameter and 2mm wall.
And when I got my cases and mount bracket work begun.
First of all I've measured flat part of cases and I've bended tube that contacts with cases and welded ends.
IMG_20190822_194139.jpg
Then I cut 3mm stainless steel plates for mounting bracket and mushroomheads. Those plades I placed on case and over these plates I fitted frame that was already made. Marker plates positions and welded them together.
IMG_20190822_212726.jpg
On upper photo you can see plate with tube on left side. This is mount to the motorcycle. Plate goes to bike mount plate and tube was welded to one of those frames.
Using a piece of reinforcement (metal rod for concrete) that was placed on rear rack I fitted frames to my bike. Then I've cut and tacked all three tubes with plates on one end. It was easy, I had just watch these plates to touch the whole plane with mount plates on bike.
IMG_20190823_222601.jpg
IMG_20190823_222111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login