Need Rejet Advice for 4-into-1 with K&N

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
usury
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hello Riders,

About a year ago I finished completely rebuilding my project bike. It looks great and sounds great with completely rebuilt engine and carbs, a Delkevic 4:1, paint, modern headlight, etc.
NewMuffler 04.jpg

However, I've ridden it less than 500 miles.
It's fussy, and I've struggled to get the carbs tuned.

I need some "been there, done this" advice from the group. Thank you in advance.

Important Specifics
  • Carbs completely disassembled and ultrasonically cleaned
  • Carb internals are new - float valves, jets, etc
  • "10 Cent Rejet" (shimming the needles with a thin washer) when I had the carbs compeletely apart
  • K&N air filter, which some conventional wisdoms says "don't worry about your jetting" and others say "well, what else have you done"
  • Delkevic 4:1 full system (with 14" Round Muffler)
Current Situation
  • Once warm, it idles ONLY on half choke (enrichment)
  • It revs fine on half-choke
  • It revs fine on no-choke if I started revving it first on half-choke
  • I've synced the carbs while idling on half-choke
  • Idle enrichment screws are already FOUR TURNS OUT (started at two turns out)
  • If I mostly cover the airbox inlet with my hand and push the choke all the way in (no enrichment), and mess with the idle adjustment knob, it WILL IDLE (carbs still decently synced)
  • While riding the bike, it revs and pulls just fine with the choke all the way in (no enrichment) but conks out at every stop sign unless I keep the throttle twisted (or pull out the choke)
  • Bluing on pipes 1 & 4 (see pics, below) is new from tuning on the bike today - was a nice straw/stainless color previously. Indicates excessive temps, which means lean conditions, right?
  • Bluing on pipes 2 & 3 was from earlier poor-sync situation within the first 100 miles
  • I have NOT done a plug chop test since right now I'm focusing on getting it to idle (I'll worry about maximizing performance at WOT later.)
My years as a shadetree mechanic tell me that with the choke all the way in (no enrichment) it's running lean. That's why restricting the airbox with my hand makes it run better - it enriches the mixture (ie. less air for the amount of fuel being delivered). Or am I thinking screwy?

Perhaps I need to step up the pilot jets? Or push it into the lake?

Who else is running a K&N air filter and a 4:1? What did you do for carb tuning?

Pics for fun...
Carb Tune 01.jpg
Carb Tune 02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freelance Renaissance Man
German Cars, Japanese Bikes, Guitars, Adrenaline

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login