Dual Carb swap problems

Problem with your XJ? Need help with maintenance? Want to show off those new grips? This is the place.
Glzzy
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hello all,

I have a 1994 XJ600, after letting it sit for a few months the jets were plugged. I fully disassembled the carbs and cleaned them, and had a rebuild kit that came with pilot needles. I didn't notice that the pilot needles were slightly different so when i went to lightly seat them they seated ever so differently and broke off in two of the carbs before i could feel them seat (I mostly blame myself). After trying everything i could think to remove them, I drilled the tips out with the smallest bit I had (this was fueled mostly by anger at this point). Long story short, Two of the factory carbs are junk now, I couldn't get it to run right after that.

Cut to my current problem, I 3d printed an adapter to run cylinders one and two together on a 36mm carb, and cylinders three and 4 together on a 36mm. The carbs I'm using are PWK36s. With vacuum gauges hooked to cylinders one and four, I cant get them to read the same no matter what i do, cylinder one and two read a higher vacuum than three and four, it runs poorly at idle, and has a hanging idle when I blip the throttle. In addition, when I removed the carbs to check to make sure jets were the same, I noticed a puddle of fuel in the intake I designed (they come over the head, and the carbs mount flat just outside the head). I went down a size in pilot jet with no change. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login