Oil consumption

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Henrik
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi there.

Still driving my XJ 600 with a smile on my face. I changed the oil frequently (very frequently) since i got it 2 years ago just to be sure. Also had a bad luck last year with a blocked engine that afterwards needed to be repaired, It was the old story with the leaking and dripping fuelcock blocking the engine.

And now the question about oil consumption, this season i had nothing to worry about until today.... Maybe??

The oil light came on after 1 mile, i stopped and walked back home. Went back and topped it up with oil (only 0,25 liter/half a pint) I have driven 2300 km this season since my last oilchange back in march month.
It runs perfect and no blue smoke or anything, but i dont have 10 years experience in motorcycles so maybe someone can tell me not to worry. Tomorrow i will change oil and filter, i pulled out the oil 1 hour ago and it will drip until tomorrow. I also inspected the spark plugs, they look absolutely fine.
I have allready read on another XJ forum, one guy telling he used 1 pint every 500 miles and it was normal ( i got the feeling he was pushing his XJ a little bit)
Looking forward to read some answers.
Kind regards Henrik

Note: there are no leaks at all, inspected the engine carefully before draining it

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login