Motor Quits After Gets Hot

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
96xj600s
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hello,

The problem:
I've been working on my 96 XJ600 for approaching a year now. I took it on its maiden ride a week ago and after about 15 minutes it just quit. No sputtering or anything. It would not restart until it cooled for 20 minutes and then ran about a 100 yards before it quit. It will start cold no problem. I'm getting airflow over it as soon as it starts so I'm not sure why it seems to be overheating or what the problem could be.

Background:
I tore it down completely to the frame over winter and tore down motor. Was going to replace rings because of bad compression (see below) but got sick of waiting for rings to come from japan and cancelled the order. New head gasket and cylinder gasket. Cylinder head/pistons cleaned. New O-rings, new circlips. Valves lapped. Carb cleaned and rebuilt. It starts and runs perfectly. It just won't stay running.

Compression Test from fall (Pre-rebuild)
4: 180 wet, 160 dry
3: 160 wet, 150 dry
2: 145 wet, 100 dry
1: 160 wet, 157 dry
(I know cylinder 2 looks funky)

Question:
The coil and generator were not replaced. Could it be those? That would explain the abrupt cut off of motor. Why would it work up until it got hot?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login