Alistair's XJ600N SCRAMBLER project

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Alistair
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hello guys!
So i decided to start this thread to summarize all i have encountered, while patching up my first and likely XJ - bike. Plus i want to disciplinize myself and somehow force to work on the bike.

For starters, i bought my 1994 XJ600N for about 1900$ and this is not much for my homeland market. This is how it looked like:

With this funny horns, like cold and hot water:D

So then i started to analyze what I have bought, looking for weak spots and making necessary maintenance things, when i realized there was NOTHING done with this bike. Like literally nothing. When i was checking my valve clearances, have noticed that there is freaking stock valve shims. All of them. So for 20 years nobody checked the valves. Shame for them.

So i guessed there was none maintenance at all, so i have started all from scratch.

List of things done:
Front hub bearings replaced
Fork seals and fork re-style
The all-mighty carb cleaning process done (although i've broken one or two thingies)
Clutch rattle fix
New speedometer (retrofitted chinese one to look almost like stock)
Practically built from scratch the dashboard
Bought new and re-painted the front light.
More work going in right at the moment, just have got enough time to write-up

So now we are looking something like this (not an super-actual photo so nevermind the speedo):

I will try to write some of the problems that i have encountered and fixed in guerilla-broke man style. More photos and posts later.

Hope somebody will find this interesting and/or helpful

More photos and posts later. Thank you all!
Last edited by Alistair on Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 39 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login