316L Stainless Caliper Rebuild Kits

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
usury
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I had an excellent experince recently with a company called Brake Crafters (located in Arizona, USA) and their sales rep named Lindsey. I'm writing about it here as a happy customer. I have no financial interest and they have offered me no incentives. :-)

I suspect a few of you may also need Front Caliper Rebuild Kit including pistons at a better price than the new-old-stock Yamaha pistons alone.

I needed front caliper pistons for Project Karma. Mine were pretty badly pitted - so much so that whomever rebuilt them last simply didn't install the second thinner outer seal in either bore! I discovered the pitting, of course, only after disassembling my caliper (and already ordering rebuild kits).

I already owned Brake Crafter's seals-only rebuild kits for the front and rear calipers. My rear caliper rebuild went really smoothly. When I realized I needed pistons for the front caliper, I reached out to Brake Crafters to see what they could supply. They offered a rear caliper 316L Stainless Pistons and Seals rebuild kit for the Seca II, but not for the front.

Within less than an hour of contacting them, a helpful sales rep named Lindsey and I had exchanged several emails. They didn't currently offer the piston sizes needed for the front caliper - there are 2x pistons in the stock front caliper, one larger in diameter than the other.

Instead of turning me away, they ordered a Yamaha caliper and had their machinists get it into their work flow to reproduce the pistons. Lindsey set good expectations regarding turn around time - about a month - and they delivered. It is very refreshing to find a company and a sales rep so willing to help a customer get what they need.

They now offer a front caliper rebuild kit for the Seca II with 316L Stainless Pisons. Their rebuild kits are complete, including seals and rubber bits, silicone-based assembly lube, a new bleeder nipple, and new copper washers for the banjo bolt.

The pistons were ready on Friday. By Monday they were in my mailbox. That was yesterday.

I rebuilt the front caliper this morning. The pistons fit perfectly.

Finished!
ImageImage
Last edited by usury on Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Freelance Renaissance Man
German Cars, Japanese Bikes, Guitars, Adrenaline

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login