Doing without a tachometer

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Bataille
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

I'm in the process of scramblifying (if that's the right word, and it probably isn't, since I'll end up with something that might resemble a cafe racer) my Seca 2/Div project, and I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on an idea I had.

The standard tachometer works well but it takes up space. I know (from searching this forum) that it might be possible to fit one of those new digital all-in-one speedo-tach units to replace the clocks and idiot lights, but I'm not convinced it would be easy to fit one or get it to work. The wiring could a puzzle I wouldn't want to face. I came across a Youtube video where someone had removed all their clocks from their Seca 2 and had fitted just an aftermarket speedo in their place. Without a doubt, it looked MUCH better without tachy and idiot lights, but with a high-revving 4-cylinder bike engine, I wonder how wise that is.

Any thoughts? It's something I would really like to do, to enhance the appearance of my bike. I want to ride it but I don't want to redline it - I do, however, like to get up to the redline every now and then to clear the crud from the engine. Doing without a tachometer is easy but is it sensible?

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login