Hard Shift 1 to 2

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
MrEvilPirate
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Bike had shifted pretty smoothly through all gears before sitting for a couple years and having me poke around at all of its innards.

She is running great now but the shift from 1 to 2 is terrible, most of the time. It get like a gear grinding noise and a double "clunk clunk"ish. I'd say it happens 80% of the time. If I granny shift 1 to 2 at less than 4k RPM no grind/clunkclunk.

Shifts really smooth all other gears.

Clutch cable is adjusted correctly (I think)... there is about 1/8" of freeplay before it starts pulling against the clutch springs.

The shifter is not binding up on anything. I put it around the splined dowel going into the transmission so that it rests just above my toes when in riding position. I did not make any adjustments to the double threaded rod and am not sure why that part is even there, it seems like I can get all the adjustment I need by rotating the shifter's clamp around that splined dowel.

The oil in the bike is fresh with about 100 miles on it. I had always planned on dumping the oil at about this mileage just to flush anything out that may have been in the motor from sitting with it's head off for several years. It is filled with Yamalube 10-40 which I THINK I've used in it before, should be fine... but I KNOW I've ran Mobile 1 in there. Considering filling it with Rotella.

Anything else you guys think I should check? Shifts beautifully all other gears, doesn't pop out of gear, clutch doesn't slip... but I grimace when going from 1 to 2.

Thanks

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login