Contradictory carburetor info - please help

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
mihkel
New to XJR
New to XJR

I bought myself a XJ600N last year and among other things I am about to adjust my carbs and there is some contradictory info from different sources. I hope you can clear things up for me and for others who might have the same question.

In the topic How to: Set Carburetor Float Height (BDS26 & BDS28) it seems that BDS26 is the one with black rubbery floats and BDS28 (that should be on European/Canadian XJ600/Diversion) is the one with light color plastic floats.

However, Haynes service and repair manual points out that there are three carb versions:
US - BDS26
UK (1992-1995), Canada - BDST28
UK (1996-on) - BDS28

And according to Haynes, the carb with light plastic floats is BDST28, not BDS28. BDS28 has black rubbery floats, same as US version.

To make things more complicated, float and fuel levels for US and UK black float carbs are different. To make things even more complicated - the information in FSM and Haynes also differs.

AND the method for adjusting float height differs - according to FSM you just hold the carb upside down. But in Haynes you have to hold the carb upside down and then tilt it back until the float tang contacts the needle valve, but the small rod in the end of the needle valve isn’t compressed.

One more thing to make things confusing - my XJ600 is first registered in 2000 in France and has 17,5 pilot jets. Assuming I have UK 1996-on) carburettors, they should have 15 pilot jets installed from factory. Mine have 17,5, so maybe it is just earlier model registered couple of years after being built? Probably.

So anyway, according to Haynes manual I have BDS28 carbs, but this information doesn’t match FSM info described in Radare’s post about setting carburetor float height pointed out above.

Can someone bring some clarification to this topic - which carb is which and what fuel levels and float heights should be used for European carburetors that have black rubbery floats?

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login