Fuel pump issues.

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Adengtg
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hello again, not really much i can say so ill just cut to the point. My fuel pump doesnt seem to be working. The OEM fuel pump was leaking on idle so i replaced it with an ebay "Direct replacement XJ600" pump which was a bit hit or miss. put the OEM back on and was working again, clutch broke and bike is off the road so i left it there. came back to it a few days ago and fitted the new pump again and it wouldnt work. occasionally it would spray a bit of fuel out but then it would turn off again. put the OEM back on and that wouldnt work either. Occasionally the pump(Either OEM or aftermarket) would work and the bike could start but after maybe 5 min it would run on 3 cylinders, then 2, then die and not start again. Tried to measure the output (V) of the two pin connector but couldnt get a reading. The only thing that stand out is theres a hose running from somewhere behind the engine into the carbs which doesnt seal properly. I remember taking the hose off the carbs and putting my finger over it and seeing the revs go up on the bike when it would occasionally run but ive no idea what it is. its on the left most carb, below the inlets and such. Looked at a diagram but couldnt find anything that relates to it. Not sure if its related or not but i thought i might include it just in case. Ive definitely got the fuel hoses the right way round and ive checked that fuel can actually flow through everything but at this point im out of ideas

The bike is an 97 model year XJ600N.I did hear of something to do with a vacuum fuel pump or something but that was related to the Seca II which apparently isnt the same model as mine.

Any ideas of what i can check to try to get it working again or any replacement parts that may do the job would be appreciated.

Sorry i couldnt be more informative but if theres anything you wish to ask or get me to check i am more than happy to. Thanks for reading!
I'm a bit of an idiot so please don't get mad if i say something ridiculous!

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login