First Ride

Talk about that last great ride or perhaps, the next one. Ride reports here.
mor2bz
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Ok, it wasn't a world trip or even a day trip, just a five mile blip up to Horsetooth (Ft. Collins, Co.) . I went up the middle dam where the stadium USED to be ( nice legacy , Tony F.) and down maniac hill to the south, then another left back into town. I do not have the clutch sorted out [parts are on the way. Radare mentioned that a release too far out or too far in could be improper assembly
with the throwout bearing and thrust washer. We shall see.

The front fork was WAY too soft although it does not appear to have been leaking. I imagine all the oil is dirty inside and
one should have a look see. I understand that adding a spacer will stiffen the spring but reduce travel. Not what is wanted.
The front brake was awesome compared to the PC800 with its braided SS lines, but I must bleed all the old nasty fluid out of both brakes.

The engine was turbine smooth. I was anticipating a very buzzy motor , esp. at 4K rpm, but thought it very good by any standard.
I have not ridden a R1 or R6 but imagine that those state of the art bikes have no problem with buzziness. I regard the Xj600 as
a thoroughly modern bike now. Maybe I got the carbs right because it runs so well. I am not sure that fuel injection is all that and\
a bag of chips. I think there is something to be said for the soft fueling characteristic of the lowly carb. FI seems too sharp, too on or off. And god help you and your wallet if it messes up.

Time to read up on fork mods and rebuilds. Thank you all for your posts.
I don't want no pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcickle - Arlo Guthrie
If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.
Nothing is so good that someone won't just hate it.

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login