Stumble/All Hell/Destruction Noises in 2nd Gear

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
RDC
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi everybody

So I don't come on here much these days, as I mentioned to someone once I only really frequent the forums when I have a problem with my bike.
Well, I'm here aren't I?

Problem: When rolling on to 2nd gear, there is a skipping/mechanical hell sound that sounds like a skipping chain, sounds like the motor is about to eat itself, and the bike hesitates and chokes and doesn't like it. :cry:

This doesn't happen: In any other gear than 2nd, and if I roll on veeerrrry verrrry slowly into 2nd gear. It'll still do it if I'm not careful.

Recently: replaced the chain - this was happening before that - and replaced the plugs - again, this was happening before that, too.

What are my likely problems here? I have been commuting on the bike and skipping 2nd gear completely out of fear. Are my carbs just sync'd like @$$ or is this more likely a mechanical issue (i.e. transmission-related, bad sprocket, bad ????)?

I'll try to get a video of it happening, but I've been busy lately so instead of being able to deal with it, I've pretty much parked the bike.

Thanks y'all

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login