Introducing myself

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
XJR38
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hello XJ riders

I've been reading on this forum for quiet a while and eventually decided to register.

I'm 19 y/o and I live in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Though I am Turkish.
Also, I'm a dentistry student.

I've been in love with motorcycles since I was little. However, my family had a negative attitude toward motorcycles.

My first step at getting towards motorcycling was starting with mopeds, which are allowed from the age of 16 here in the Netherlands.

I have previously owned 5 mopeds.
- chinese scooter 50cc 4 stroke
- gilera runner rst 50cc 2 stroke
- piaggio zip liquid cooled 50cc 2stroke
- piaggio zip 50cc 4 stroke
- Yamaha TZR 50cc 2 stroke

----------
In the Netherlands we have 3 different licences for motorcycle riding (I think this goes for whole europe)

18 y/o - A1 (motorcycles up to 125cc and 11kW) (kW = kiloWatts)

20 y/o - A2 (motorcycles up to 35kW)

24* y/o - A (no power restrictions)

*If you have gotten your A2 licence, you are allowed to get the A licence two years afterward. Which means that if you get A2 at the age of 20, you're allowed to have A when you're 22 (2 years earlier than normal).

This whole system is basically b***s*** because we're allowed to get our driving licence at the age of 17. Without any restrictions. Which means that a 17 year old can drive a 4.5 litre Ferrari, but not even a 300cc motorcycle.
----------

When I turned 18 I sold my Yamaha TZR and got my A1 licence. A month later I bought my very first motorcycle. A 2005 Yamaha YBR 125.

Last May I also bought a "91 Yamaha XJ600S from it's first owner with 35,000 kilometres on the odo. (21,750 miles)

The problem is: this bike has 45kW's which is 10 kW's too much when I turn 20 and get my A2 licence.
I contacted the local dealership, they told me that restricting the bike and updating the registration would cost about 380 euro's.

I decided that I would do something better with that money: buy a restriced Diversion!

Last week I sold my Yamaha YBR and bought a "93 XJ600S - which is restricted and registered to 25 kW's. This bike has served 50,000 kilometres (31K miles)

So now I am proud owner of two Yamaha Diversions.

I will upload some pictures of the bikes soon.

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login