Hello - New Rider - New to me Bike

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
powerismine
New to XJR
New to XJR

Good afternoon everyone,

My name is Rich (hi Rich!), how is everyone today? I am doing well. I am new to motorcycles and riding. I was always a 4 wheel guy between off roading, atv's and go karts. I own an electronics repair shop out here in WNY, we are outside of Buffalo in the sticks. I have been into computers and electronics since about 1999, but have always been someone who takes things apart just to see how they work. I also love to camp, fish and general outdoors. I picked up a larger fishing boat last year and am hoping to get it out on the lake this year for fall fishing season. I am a cancer survivor (well so far! :D), last year I found out I had final stage cancer but was able to beat it after nasty chemo and a few surgeries.

This is my first bike, 1994 Yamaha (obv) XJ600 Seca II. I got it from Facebook Marketplace. The person I got it from had it for 2 years but never put it on the road. He used around the back roads and lost interest. He had other bikes and projects. Anyway he described it as not getting fuel and he said he figured the fuel pump was bad, it does run great with starting fluid. After reading up on this issue this morning a little bit I am not sure that is the case. I plan on going over everything during this week and going from there.

Few things I do need to figure out and maybe you all can point me in the right direction.

1. Grips - Are they somewhat universal? They need replaced since they are covered in electrical tape now.
2. Seat Cover - Seat is in okay shape but it needs recovered. Do they sell a cover for it or am I better off having a place just redo it?
3. Fuel Issue - I am going to start troubleshooting this during the week. I want to get it running before I put it on the road.
4. Paint Removal - So the person who had the bike before me decided to paint it, well that would be all well and good if they would have done it even partly right. They painted OVER everything, decals, pin strips, everything. It's crazy how lazy this person was, that said what is the best way to remove the paint and get the plastics ready for painting?
5. Front End Light - I am not a fan of how the stock front light (not sure what it's called). I seen a few others that have a nicer round head light and the plastics have been removed, might go down this road.

I am sure I will have a TON more questions as time goes on. I did see there was a recent post regarding fuel pumps in the forum and I plan on digging into that more as I play around. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to PM on here or hunt me down on Facebook.

Thanks everyone, it is very nice to meet all of you and hopefully I will be another success story!

Rich
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger

This topic has 17 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login