New owner, and relatively new rider

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
JustinC25
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hi guys,

Just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself.
My name is Justin, and I live in NH in the USA.
I've been officially riding for about 2 months.
Though unofficially I got my first bike when I was 12.
A 1971 Honda CL70 in Orange and silver.
I use to ride it on the trails behind my house, and still own that bike. I also own a 2011 Suzuki GSXR 750, and
Just purchased a 1994 Yamaha Seca II XJ600S for my girlfriend as her first bike. (Don't worry, she picked it out)
It's a cool bike, and I'm so glad that there is such a great community of riders and owners here.
The bike has 22k miles, and was purchased for$900.00
The previous owner said he bought it after taking the MSF class. He got his license then took it on the street and dropped it.
He got scared, parked it in the garage, and it sat there for 5 years. It wasn't running, but he cleaned the carbs and changed the battery. Now it runs, but I'm having a rideability problem.
When first setting off from a stop, it has a hesitation.
Also when riding it feels almost like there's a small vibration, or really more like a misfire. Like sort of jerky.
I changed the oil and filter, replaced the fuel filter, checked the air filter and plugs. Also did a compression test, and cylinder balance test. I read a couple of the posts here that I found off of Google.
Then had my dad help me with a few things on the bike.
(he's a Toyota mechanic, and has been working on his bikes for years)
We decided to try doing the tests above.
There cylinder balance test found that cylinder 4 was dead.
Compression test revealed 60 psi in cylinders 1&4.
Not sure what the spec is on this bike. But cylinder 1 was working fine during the balance test.
And matched#4 in the compression. Plugs looked good too. So we played with the pilot mixture screws.
They were about 1.75 turns. After adjusting to about 4-4.5 turns out the idle is very nice and it revs up very nicely with no stumble. But on wide open throttle it dies out. Next we tried checking the float heights and found them all between 6-8mm. Which I believe is in spec from what I've been able to find. We also found the intake boots cracked and replaced them. Dad seems to think we may need to replace the jets next. Like it's not getting enough fuel on the main circuit.
I believe this bike is stock. We've also replaced the fuel filter. What do you guys recomend at this time?
Changing the jets? If so what size 105, or 102.5 for mains and #20 for pilots?
Also before we did anything other than the oil change the bikes acceleration was rather anemic until about 7000 rpm then it pulled really good until about 9500 rpm.
Thanks in advance for any advice and help.
This is a really fun bike and I want to get it up and running again so my girl and I can ride together.
She's really excited and has been helping with it.
She took the MSF class last month and has her license now.
Thanks again !

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login