Consequences of throwing away oil level sensor

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

As I check my oil level in the sight glass before every ride, I was thinking about throwing away the oil level sensor on my bike, so that where it's fitted in the sump pan becomes a new, dedicated oil drain plug location. The reason for this is that I drain my oil from the oil level sensor unit's location (with the help of a siphon), as the normal oil drain bolt is far too seized to ever move. Meanwhile, leaving the oil level sensor installed, and removing it from time to time to drain oil, seems risky because it isn't designed for that, it has a strong seal and is tricky to pull out, and if the sensor breaks while coming out, that would result in a lot of trouble.

I was thinking of fabricating a blanking oil plug, located at the oil sensor, using a piece of mild steel, a copper crush washer, a drill and an angle grinder. I'm sure this will work well. One thing I'm concerned about is the behaviour of the oil level light on the dash. How does it work? Ideally, when the key is turned in the ignition, the light should remain on until the engine is started. I would like to keep it that way, even when the oil level sensor is removed.
Apart from that, can you think of any negative consequences of removing the oil level sensor?

Thanks in advance
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

This topic has 12 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login