Haynes service intervals

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

I was wondering, what are you guys' thoughts on Haynes service intervals? There are two items in the Haynes manual that surprise me and which I don't trust at all:

1) Change oil and oil filter every 8000 miles or every 12 months.
2) Check valve clearances every 16000 miles or every 2 years.

:lolno:

These intervals seem crazy long to me.. My Diversion has racked up nearly 46000 miles. I figured I would replace the oil every 1000 or 1500 miles, and check the valve clearances at the same time. All the other items I check fairly regularly anyway.

Are my intervals too short and am I being obsessive? Does 1000-1500 seem too short to you? To be honest I can't imagine anyone waiting to rack up 8000 more miles before changing their oil and filter, and I do expect the valve clearances to have shortened a little after every couple of thousand miles.

As an air-cooled bike that gets really hot, tremendous stresses are placed on the oil, which also has a cooling and cleaning function inside the engine, on top of its duties lubricating the engine and transmission. I just don't get how you could wait 8000 miles. lol
How often do you change your oil and oil filter?
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login