Weird speedometer problem

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
webman94
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Hi everyone, I hope you have thoughts on this one. I have a '97 Seca II, which I've done a naked conversion on. I replaced the speedometer with one from Dime City, and it worked fine, for about 100 miles... the strange thing is that I don't think it's the speedometer that's the problem. I unscrewed the speedo cable at the wheel end, and put the end of the cable in my cordless drill, and pulled the trigger; the speedometer needle freely moved, every time I pulled the trigger.

I tried attaching and reattaching both ends of the cable several times, and tried riding the bike each time, with no success. This suggests the speedometer drive is either broken, or something else is wrong. I replaced the drive a few years ago, and haven't been able to ride the bike very much the last few years (probably less than 1,000 miles), so it would be surprising that the drive has gone bad, but you never know.

Is it possible that the aftermarket speedometer location is an issue? Is it possible that the internal part of the cable isn't engaging (or 'pops out' of the drive) for some reason? How could I test/diagnose this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login