This section is for gear and accessory reviews only
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region or State: New England
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Dash Cam - Front and Rear - Sykik

Post by Nelsonmd » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:56 pm

So I just picked up a 2-camera dash cam DVR system on Amazon for about $80, from the seemingly no-name chinese brand Sykik. They do actually have a website. I bought the C6 model. They have a higher definition version that I will probably pick up sometime soon.

The instructions were pretty terrible, but they have a better instructions file on their website.

Here's how I mounted it. I used some 3M extreme hold adhesive tape and it seems to work great. the stamped metal brackets are thin and soft enough that I bent the mounting surface to match the contour of the fairing, and then just bent the camera to the correct view. The cameras are assembled around a rig in the bracket, so the lens can spin relative to the bracket. Clearly I need to rotate mine a bit.

The image quality is pretty low, but for $80, I think it's not bad. There are some settings changes that I could use to make the image a bit less washed out, but that would trade off night vision too.

phpBB [video]

It seems that the bike needs to be either extremely close or at a stop to make the license plates readable, but it's a start. This thing literally took about 10 minutes to install, and I don't have to touch it at all. It powers on and records with the key. It has a G-sensor to detect a crash and lock that file, but I think you have to have it mounted rigidly for that to work right. I just have it under the seat, so I don't think the g-sensor will work right. It doesn't seem to have an adjustment for the file size. The instructions mention a wired remote that can lock the current file, but I dont' see a port for that. I might see if it's in the GPS jack (it's a 3.5mm jack) so I could wire up a momentary switch to lock the file.

Overall I am pleased with the system. For my daily commuter I may try upgrading to the X1 which takes 1080p video (it's probably not great quality since I'm sure the lenses are plastic, but hopefully it's better). If I do that, then I'll move this system to my GF's new vespa. for her commute to school.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Re: Dash Cam - Front and Rear - Sykik

Post by radare » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:12 am

Even if you can't get plate numbers, having video evidence in a crash (especially one someone else caused) could be useful. Do you think its worth the $80?

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator

Post by Nelsonmd » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:49 am

Agreed on getting the action if not the plates... you never know what you're going to capture.

Personally I think it is worth the $80 based on the belief that there is added value in something actually being used. While the video is much lower quality than my helmet mounted Contour, it is literally zero maintenance. The contour or any other camera, I have to charge it during the day (which I often forget), empty out the SD card (which I often forget), turn it on and off myself each ride (which I often forget), and i have to have it hanging off my helmet. The sykik system is a true dashcam and uses ignition power, creates one video for both cams, records in small segments (about 1.5 minutes. I wish I could make this 10 minutes, but you can't change that setting), and auto-re-write over itself when the card is full.

The rear facing mount for my second Contour broke a while back and I just stopped using the rear facing camera, so that is only 50% effective anyway at this point. I was constantly forgetting to turn off and remove the rear facing contour, so I was often riding with it's battery dead, or the card full.

The auto-rewrite function seems to be hell on the SD cards and they get corrupted periodically, but I have been having fairly long life of late. One of my car dashcams is the only one that has corrupted cards, so maybe it's just that camera.

One other downfall that is maybe pretty minor is that other drivers can't' really tell that i have cameras on my bike. While this is better for when it's parked, while driving, I have pointed at my camera when other drivers are acting like A-holes and some of them back off and behave when they see I'm recording. This is probably a smaller issue though, it's not that much of a deterrent.

One more comment, the video files don't seem to be very compact. Each 1.5min file is 255Mb, you my 16Gb card barely lasts the hour ride to and from work each day. You really need at least a 32Gb card for it so that you don't risk overwriting the ride I'm still on.

Anyway, to me this system is definitely worth the $80 for a truly hands off system that always records, and could literally never need me to mess with it. When I think of the possible liability cost should I not be able to prove myself innocent (Assuming I actually am innocent... :oops: ), $80 is an absolute bargain. I might even go for the upgrade to the $180 1080p camera system they sell (the X1F model), then move this SD system to my girlfriend's Vespa. I haven't had it long enough to really judge the reliability of the system, so if it only lasts a year or so, then I'll say it's not worth it, but I did buy the square trade warranty for 2 years coverage (it was $10), so I should be able to get at least 2 years out of it.

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

AlecJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: South Africa
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N, TTR125S

Post by AlecJ » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:48 am

I have also got me the ICE CAM( it is a cool anagram : In Case of Emergency – Camera Accident Motorbike surveillance) it is basically if not exactly the same as the one you put on. (site: https://ice-tags.co.za/product/ice-cams-pro/)

I am happy with it as a safety feature but it is most definitely not for making ride films!

Here is were I hid my lenses:

I ride solo

BoxJarv
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: Sweden
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha XJ600N

Post by BoxJarv » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:52 pm

This is very interesting. I've been using a Mitone action cam which is a Chinese Gopro clone. It gives great results but as mentioned previously, it is a lot of work to use it as a dash cam. Shall be checking out the Sykik and ICE CAM....

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator

Post by Nelsonmd » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Nice locations. I'd have liked to have placed the cams on center, but i didn't have solid mounting points that wouldn't get alot of road kick-up.

Going on over a year with this camera system, it still works great. I just had a close call with some D-bag in a Porsche, and unfortunately the video quality isn't really good enough for me to be able to read the license plate, but it's enough for liability purposes should anything actually happen.