Yamaha XJ 600 1985 - trouble starting it, high idle etc

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
YamahaXJ600
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hi, Im new here and I did some searching in the forums but couldnt really find my problem. I bought a Yamaha XJ 600 1985 model so that I could start practicing. I bought it really cheap so my hopes was not that high.

The thing is that the bike is hard to turn on. When I have charged the battery full, it started without at problem. But only with the choke on and fuel on "PRI". I left it alone for a few days and it was the same problem again with the ignition. I went and bought a new battery and it started without problem. Then after it got warm the idle went from 1000 rpm to 3000 rpm and stayed there. Also when I turned the throttle just a little and let it go, the rpm went really high (6000 rpm) and went down after 1-2 seconds. It was not easy to practice when the rpm goes that high at the begining.

I havent touched the bike for 2 days and now it wont start again. What could the problem be? Im gonna check the fuses today so that they are not wet but besides that I dont know what to do. I have zero mechanical skills so be gentle =)

Sorry for the bad english. Im swede! =P

Thanks in advance

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login