What did you do with your Seca II today?

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region or State: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha Seca II 92
St Lucia

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Decided to start her up today and I honestly thought it wouldn't start.

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 pm

^^ I like the silver paint job you've done on it, that looks pretty good! I assume it started okay?
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

Tag7768
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 seca2

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:26 pm

put her all back together. rebuilt carbs, new engine new hoses. and.. no start. trouble shooting time. hope it's something simple. strange thing when I put the front break on the neutral light goes out. thoughts?

Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region or State: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha Seca II 92
St Lucia

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:21 pm

TonyKZ1 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 pm
^^ I like the silver paint job you've done on it, that looks pretty good! I assume it started okay?
A little hesitation but it turned out well.

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:30 pm

Not today, but Sunday it was 59F here in Michigan! ...in February! I was just going to start Ruby up, let her run for a bit, and put in the Stabil I forgot in October, but hearing her run out in the warm sunshine started an itch I couldn't ignore. I grabbed my jacket and helmet, and went out and put about 50 miles on. Oh man, it felt so good! ...and weird... It was weird because literally at the same moment I was buzzing around on my motorcycle in my spring jacket, my Dad, aunt, and uncle were riding snowmobiles just about 150 miles North of me! I forgot my GoPro, so no pictures (still not used to the fact that I have one), but I did come back with a big grin on my face! I hear it's supposed to be 63F tomorrow! Too bad I'm booked solid all day!
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
United States of America

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:08 pm

I installed a new Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70-18 rear tire this morning. I usually replace both of them at the same time, but the front tire still has some tread left on it and I'm trying to conserve funds, so I'll run it for another month or two and then replace it too.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

xjardin
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: ca
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 xj600sfc

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:39 pm

My chain was getting the red dust of death on it and the tensioners were about at the limit so I went ahead and replaced the chain. I had heard of some people using the $15 chain breaker tool from harbor freight to put a rivet link on so I went ahead and tried it. It takes a little bit of modification on the tool, but it totally works. I took it out for a spin and checked the measurements on the chain again. Nothing budged a hair so I'm good to go :thumbsup:

The 'modification' is real easy. First to press the plates on, unscrew the rod from the top and the piece from the bottom. This leaves plenty of space to push the plate on one side at a time without touching the rivets. Then to do the rivet, leave the bottom piece out and stick the extra rod in the bottom pointing down. This gives a firm backing for the rivet to push on. Put the rod back in the top and adjust that down so it's barely sticking out. Just like that you've got a 15 dollar rivet tool.
Youtube Certified Backyard Technician

Just N Time
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: Virginia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 XJ600SD Seca II

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Well I'm still in the resurrection mode at this point but a few pieces and parts came in today. New intake manifold boots, a new starter relay, and some purdy Domino grips. Technically I only squished the grips a few times cause I'm hunting for handlebars but they were nice! I also salvaged some Bandit 1200 gauges from a dark hole that I'm pretty hopeful about. We shall see...
It's getting there...

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
United States of America

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Saturday among other things, I flushed and replaced the brake fluid front & rear in my Seca II. After freeing both back bleeders, as they were stuck pretty good and then unclogging them, I started pushing the new fluid through the system using the brake pedal. It was brownish and pretty nasty looking. The front brake was a little easier but still had the brownish fluid in it. Not sure if this was 20yr old brake fluid but it's possible I guess. Anyhow, the brakes work much better now.

xjardin
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: ca
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 xj600sfc

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:20 pm

TonyKZ1 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:17 pm
Saturday among other things, I flushed and replaced the brake fluid front & rear in my Seca II. After freeing both back bleeders, as they were stuck pretty good and then unclogging them, I started pushing the new fluid through the system using the brake pedal. It was brownish and pretty nasty looking. The front brake was a little easier but still had the brownish fluid in it. Not sure if this was 20yr old brake fluid but it's possible I guess. Anyhow, the brakes work much better now.
Are those the original lines? That color would make me think the lines are failing.
Youtube Certified Backyard Technician

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto