New Member - Here to Learn from XJRiders - Feb 2017

Tell us about yourself, what you ride, and share your favorite picture.
Posbike
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: MN, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Xj600 Seca II & 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:14 am

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well and having a good start to the new year. My name is Al, I am from MN, USA. I am a project manager for a technology company. I am a fairly new rider. My favorite ride so far has been with a group of people from a local shop, we went down to Stillwater MN, and rode around the St. Croix River. It wasn't much, but it was nice. I plan to have much better rides this year!

I initially was looking for a classic car to work on, as I had that itch to work on something and get my hands dirty like I used to before warranties and new cars happened.

I accidentally came across a listing for a bike when looking at Jaguar XJ12's. Money was tight of course, so I was really looking hard and long.

One day in my searches, I came across a listing for a bike near me and it was the perfect fit for me. I have always wanted a bike, but could not settle with just one style of bike and I knew it had to have a unique look. The bike was much cheaper than buying a classic car, and would satisfy my need to work on/fix something.

So, I bought the POS bike, literally. It runs fine but needs a new petcock or a petcock rebuild. I have not done all of the troubleshooting to determine if the petcock itself is bad but I saw some posts regarding a Acerbis and Yamaha Raptor petcocks that may be better/cheaper and time efficient options (not sure what model year). I look forward to this and learning more!

My goals/interests for this year are:

Attend bike week in Daytona March 11th through 19th - I can't wait until summer to ride so I am using this as a reason :)
Re-build or replace petcock very soon. It's "warm" here in MN this week, 40F so I plan to get my hands dirty and see what I can find at the local shops and online
Replace Fuel filter
Wait for the first hard rain fall and street sweepers then ride and ride and ride, I can't get enough and that's all I can think about.
Learning from everyone here!
Shout out to Radare!

I look forward to reviewing the posts and hearing from anyone that may be able to share their experiences.

- Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can call me Al
93 Xj600 Seca II
16 Yamaha FZ 07
Minnesota, USA
Attended University of YouTube

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:35 am

Hi Al, Welcome to the Forum :)
There's been a lot of discussion about the Posbike on this forum but until now we only saw photos.... it's great that you bought this bike and found us, you can tell us what it's really like :thumbsup:

Posbike
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:48 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the note. The bike is a beast!

I am trying to find one day shipping on a petcock rebuild kit an Acerbis or Raptor one, but I am not sure what year for the raptor. I'll keep looking. It's part of the fun!

One thing I forgot to mention was that I wanted to replace the shocks. I see there is plenty of information posted on that.

Best regards,

Al
You can call me Al
93 Xj600 Seca II
16 Yamaha FZ 07
Minnesota, USA

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Sweet! The POS bike has become somewhat of a legend here. It's good to see the owner join up.

Read-up on the FZ6R shock. I think it's a good fit for that bike.

I like your avatar, btw.

Posbike
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks Radare. I have been eyeing the recommendations on the FZ6R shocks for a few months and have been itching to get it done once it warms up.
You can call me Al
93 Xj600 Seca II
16 Yamaha FZ 07
Minnesota, USA

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:12 am

Hi Al. I was wondering if that bike would ever show up here.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Posbike
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi Fateddy,

I hope all is well.

Al
You can call me Al
93 Xj600 Seca II
16 Yamaha FZ 07
Minnesota, USA

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:19 pm

You'll have to shoot some video of that bike being ridden. I'd like to see how it looks with a rider and maybe hear what that exhaust sounds like.

Ollyrag
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Kent, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj600N 1998
Great Britain

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Posbike wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:48 am
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the note. The bike is a beast!

I am trying to find one day shipping on a petcock rebuild kit an Acerbis or Raptor one, but I am not sure what year for the raptor. I'll keep looking. It's part of the fun!

One thing I forgot to mention was that I wanted to replace the shocks. I see there is plenty of information posted on that.

Best regards,

Al
Hi, you might like to have a look at this. :idea: Yamaha YZF 600 YZF600 Fuel Petcock Fuelcock 1995-2007 on ebay. Perfect.
Used one on my 600N, done away with the useless vacuum pipe as well, good old school ON/OFF

/Reserve.
It's not how old you are, It's how you are old.

Posbike
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi Ollyrag,

Thanks for the note. I had just purchased a new petcock for $60 bucks before I saw your message. I thought about the rebuild kit but decided to couch up a little more just to save some time. The temp is ok right now but it has been windy and deceiving. It's supposed to get near 50s here this weekend so I plan to install it then. I am going to rebuild the original when I get sometime.

Radare,

I haven't looked at mounting a go pro just yet but I am hoping to get some footage when I go down to Daytona Beach next month. I'll try to post some footage after the trip and do some YouTube research on some angles that may work ok.

Have a great week everyone. Thanks for all of the tips so far!
You can call me Al
93 Xj600 Seca II
16 Yamaha FZ 07
Minnesota, USA

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action: