RPI Based Dashcam

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
xjardin
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

I had a bit of inspiration today while digging through old electronics looking for some parts. I found my abandoned first generation Raspberry Pi and started thinking about how I can use this on my bike.

The first thing that came to mind is a dashcam. The basic device would consist of:

1) Raspberry Pi
2) Old PS Eye webcam
3) 5000 mAh battery pack. This will give the Pi at least 4 hours of run time.
4) For storage, I'll either use an old 128GB SSD or attach a USB SD card reader. Either way, some kind of solid state storage will be needed.

I plan to strap all of this together and mount it inside some kind of weatherproof container underneath the seat in the storage compartment.

I might look into using a ubec or something to charge the battery pack off the bike's electrical so I don't need to remove it and charge it every day.

Once I have this basic device running, the next step will be to write some scripts. I want to find a way to use the GPIO pins on the Pi to make it start recording when the bike is turned on.

I want to add a wifi adapter and write a script to scan for open networks and automatically upload videos. I'll probably add a second wifi adapter so I can pop an AP with sshd, allowing me to control it wirelessly with my phone or laptop.

I could also attach a GPS dongle and have it record my trips.

Any Raspi enthusiasts on the forum? Any other ideas to use with this?
Last edited by xjardin on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube Certified Backyard Technician

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login