Dash Cam - Front and Rear - Sykik

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator

So I just picked up a 2-camera dash cam DVR system on Amazon for about $80, from the seemingly no-name chinese brand Sykik. They do actually have a website. I bought the C6 model. They have a higher definition version that I will probably pick up sometime soon.

The instructions were pretty terrible, but they have a better instructions file on their website.

Here's how I mounted it. I used some 3M extreme hold adhesive tape and it seems to work great. the stamped metal brackets are thin and soft enough that I bent the mounting surface to match the contour of the fairing, and then just bent the camera to the correct view. The cameras are assembled around a rig in the bracket, so the lens can spin relative to the bracket. Clearly I need to rotate mine a bit.

The image quality is pretty low, but for $80, I think it's not bad. There are some settings changes that I could use to make the image a bit less washed out, but that would trade off night vision too.

[video][/video]

It seems that the bike needs to be either extremely close or at a stop to make the license plates readable, but it's a start. This thing literally took about 10 minutes to install, and I don't have to touch it at all. It powers on and records with the key. It has a G-sensor to detect a crash and lock that file, but I think you have to have it mounted rigidly for that to work right. I just have it under the seat, so I don't think the g-sensor will work right. It doesn't seem to have an adjustment for the file size. The instructions mention a wired remote that can lock the current file, but I dont' see a port for that. I might see if it's in the GPS jack (it's a 3.5mm jack) so I could wire up a momentary switch to lock the file.

Overall I am pleased with the system. For my daily commuter I may try upgrading to the X1 which takes 1080p video (it's probably not great quality since I'm sure the lenses are plastic, but hopefully it's better). If I do that, then I'll move this system to my GF's new vespa. for her commute to school.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread (Rusted out)
2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (gone)
2004 Vespa ET4 (sold)

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login