Cake's XJ 600 S

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
cake
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

I created this thread to share progress of my XJ. I won't be doing a big fancy project, but since I have learned a lot myself by seeing other peoples projects (big and small), I wanted to contribute to that too. I guess it will mostly be a lot of fixing various things that shows up (if not already present). It will also give me the opportunity to ask small questions not necessarily worth its own thread and most likely get help and ideas on how to overcome obstacles I might encounter.

Okay, so I got the XJ late last year. This meant that I only had about a month of riding before winter and cold weather set in. It's now spring and I have had my first ride again. Overall the bike functioned and looked okay when I bought it, besides a very spongy front brake (which has now been fixed by simply bleeding the brakes) and some other issues. The paint on the plastics looks quite faded though – I think I will start trying to polish it and see how much that helps.

Engine clattering
The engine makes a rattling/clattering sound, but only when running low revs, so I haven't been too concerned about it. I'm not sure what is causing it. I only hear it when the engine is idling. Giving it a little throttle or a small pull in the enricher nob and it disappears (the engine sounds smooth once again). It kind of sounds like in this video (not mine) - try not to listen to the exhaust, but the underlying rattling. Perhaps it's difficult to hear if you don't know what you should listen for :). Could it be a loose cam chain? I don't think it's the famous clutch rattle, but I'm really not sure what's the cause. Anyway, perhaps I should try and record a video of it, so you guys can have a listen. Besides this sound, the engine seems to be running great, there lots of power and I'm pretty impressed by the 22 km/l (52 mpg) I'm getting. Didn't think it would do so well!

A little hard to start
It's a little hard to start when it has been standing still for a few days. I then have to use the starter for several seconds and if it has been standing for just a few hours i always have to pull out the enricher nob to start it. Actually I almost always have to use the enricher knob (unless just stopping and starting the engine for a short while). I don't know if this is normal, but I think it's a little slower and harder to start than it should be. I am thinking of replacing spark plugs and cleaning carburetors in hope that it will help. Will that make sense or is there other areas I should focus on? But again, once started and warmed up, it runs great!

Oil leak
Oh... and it is leaking a bit of oil. I think it's mainly from the cylinder head gasket and possible also somewhere in the carburetor heating system (european engine oil heated). From when I noticed the first bit of oil on the fins of the motor I guess I have ridden a little over 1000 km (~620 miles). Some oil have disappeared, but I have not had to fill up with extra oil yet. Anyway, I'll be having a mechanic take a look at it. I guess he can take a listen at the engine clatting sound at the same time. And obviously check the valve clearances if he replaces the head gasket.

I won't be having a mechanic do all the things I want to fix. But since I don't have an garage myself and I'm just at motorcycle novice, I'm a little limited in that way. Instead I'll do smaller isolated tasks. My first successful repair was replacing the rear brake light switch. Hardly difficult, but very time consuming, as I couldn't reach the connector without removing the side panel, tail panel and luggage rack with indicators :o. Some of the next tasks it will take a look at will probably be:
  • Rebuild forks with new seals and wipers
  • Reupholster seat
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Replace air filter
  • Replace intake manifold seals (all hard and cracked)
  • Mount another/bigger luggage rack (will be taking the bike for a 7 day trip in the summer with a friend, so will need to be able to carry extra stuff)
  • Build/connect a relay so I can wire up different electricals
  • Possibly try do something about the oxidized paint on the front fairing and side covers
  • Clean carburettors and synchronize them (but yikes it's a lot of small parts)
  • Replace fuel, vacuum and oil (for the heated carburettors) lines (they are a little stiff)
  • Fix steering lock, which isn't working at all
Well, actually many of the things in the Standard Maintenacne & Repair Items list :)

This topic has 61 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login