vervurax's Seca II Journal

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
vrx
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

I hope you don't mind if I post some pics here. Mainly for myself but who knows, maybe you'll find something useful too.
It's not a rebuild/restoration, just minor tweaks and repairs.

So I decided to tune my carbs last weekend. I ordered new float chamber gaskets (old ones were leaking gas), #20 pilot jets. I also got some mig welder thingies to use as nipples for manomenter and new screws to replace stock philips. Needles were supposed to be used as vacuum restrictors but there was no need for them.

This was a bit stressfull for me, never expected myself to even touch carburetor. One mistake and the bike might end up dead.

Anyway, I proceeded to fit new pilot jets (float chambers were pretty clean, that's good)

Aaaand suddenly I'm banging with a hammer on the carbs. Cylinder 3 pilot screw was stuck and stripped. So I drilled a little hole and (not so) gently forced a torx bit into it.

Thank god it worked pretty well

Here's a homemade manometer that I don't trust one bit, but it did the job I think.

Spark plugs inspection

Today I took a ride, bike not only runs, but runs good. Drained old oil, poured a nice, new Motul 10W40. New jets and proper throttle lines adjustment eliminated hesitation on takeoff and smoothed low speed movement (1st gear, 1,5-2k revs).

A bit of history - as soon as I got the bike in april 2013, I got some pieces powder coated. They were nasty. Also new grips.

Recently I replaced the exhaust pipes, I guess they were smashed on a curb by PO. They didn't fit the head very fell, and fumes were leaking there and producing ugly farting noise. There was a big indentation on the bottom, too. Oh, I cleaned the "new" ones with Autosol Bluing Remover, worked like a charm, can recommend.

I did many, many other things with this bike which I don't even remember now or they aren't worth mentioning. Had a great time doing it :)

Bonus pic from a trip to Warsaw to visit a friend last May.

ps. pardon my english if there's some nonsense

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login