Project Driveway

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Theo
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Well I figured it's time I start documenting the work on my bike.

Some info about me (feel free to skip this part):
I got the bike back in January. I had a bike back in New York where I'm from and when I moved out to the Bay, I sold it. A year went by when I got bit by the bug and had to have a bike again. Year round riding, beautiful roads. I'm surprised I lasted so long. So I got the seca. My last bike was a big liter bike and I wanted something smaller this time. The bike is out of tune but I like it. Real nice ergonomics, light, and a seat that is a dream to sit on. I think I'll hold on to it for a while.

Bike Background
I got the bike from a guy who used it as his daily commuter. He wanted to get a bigger bike and so put this bike up for sale. I bought it because the price was right but I now see why. The bike was in pretty bad shape; less so now.

The Bad:
• Was in a 5 mph accident. Bent handlebar.
• Small crack in side fairing.
• Takes a very long to warm up.
• Sounds like one cylinder is not firing well.
• Motor leaks oil. It's more of a weep from the valve cover and I think the base gasket. The PO said it's been doing it for the past 10 years. And he's never bothered cleaning it and you can tell. It's covered in a thick layer of gunk.
• Fairings in rough shape
• Valves haven't been adjusted in a while
• Chain in sprockets in ghastly shape
• DIRTY!

What's been done (by PO or myself and not photo documented):
• New tires
• New front and rear brake pads and rebuilt calipers
• Recovered seat
• New Rectifier/regulator assembly
• Steering bearings replaced and adjusted
• Control cables adjusted / lubed
1993 Yamaha XJ600SC

This topic has 18 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login