Project Benjamin Franklin

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
merkxr
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Bought an XJ on E bay in St. Louis. Description stated an oil leak had been the reason to park it and then it had sat for 2 years with a full tank of gas. I ordered a set of Po Boy carb rebuild kits and had some leftover carb insulators left over from my previous XJ. I picked up the bike from the owner Sunday 5/25.

Overall the bike looked better than I had expected. A lot of the factory stickers are still in tact (for the most part) and it mainly needed to be washed to shine again. When I started to closely look over the bike, I noticed the front brake pads were almost metal on metal and the rears didn't look much better. The left upper fork tube had a little rust starting above the dust seal and both fork dust seals were toast but the oil seals still looked good. The seller then went inside and came back out with a brand new set of brake pads and said "How about these for a buck . I couldn't turn it down since they even still had the sticker on them for $27.95. When I got back to Kansas City I made a pit stop for the wife and decided to stop in the DIY car wash place. There was a few drops of oil that made it on the rented trailer, so that was my excuse to spend the 4 dollars on the wash (actually 2.75 out of my pocket since 1.25 was found in and around the bill changer. What luck?!).
Pictures after a mini bath:

I plan on starting this mini project hopefully by the weekend after next as I have 2 vehicles I am putting motors in at the moment. I will start with finding out where the oil leak is originating. I believe the clutch cover gasket had failed by the looks of it. Then pull off the gas tank, empty it, clean it then pull the carbs and start the pine sol soak. Then it will be on to brakes and then hopefully a test ride. I plan on selling it once I reach that point. It would still need tires and a chain, but would be otherwise rideable. I figured I could pass on a good deal to the next person and make a few dollars.
Last edited by merkxr on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login