My first motorcycle

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
cholbach
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

So I found a 1993 Seca on Craigslist for $600. I went back and forth since it was not turning over, but when the price dropped to $200 I decided that even with worst case scenario I could part it out.

The Good: Mostly complete, missing a few small parts like a rear fairing, turn signal, wind shield, chain guard). Motor is not locked up. New brakes and front tire. Clean title.

The Bad: Every piece of plastic is either cracked or broken. (can always go with the naked look). Have to break open the engine to replace the Idler starter gear. Gas tank sound like it has rust and gunk!

Well, motor isn’t locked, common Idler Gear issue. Looks like the primary Idler Gear had been replaced already so I am shopping around for a less expensive one (trying to keep the initial expense down). A little nervous about the project, I have done more than my share of mechanical work on vehicles, but this is my first motorcycle. With that said, the how to’s and write-ups that have been posted on this site are a life saver.

From here on out it will be piece by piece. 1) I will finish replacing the starter idler gear and button the engine back up. 2) since the carbs are off the motor I will clean them. 3) clean the gas tank and clean the petcock4) put everything back and see what happens.

Questions:
Can I use the perma-seal for gaskets? It does not look like there was a main gasket between the halves of the engine when I opened it up.

Parts needed: Idler gear, starter relay, blinker, maybe plastics, chain, chain sprocket, chain guard, tensioner thing for the back tire.
Will post pics up this week.

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login